Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Human Trafficking Stopped by a Student

I love this story from San Diego State:

 This is from a student leader named Honey who went on an InterVarsity missions trip to Cairo last summer:


About a month ago, I had yet another amazing opportunity to share my testimony about my missions trip in Cairo. As soon as I was done, I got into a deep conversation with a man who was intrigued by my story. I told him about how hard it was for me to be an American woman in Cairo because of how I was treated. I explained how there was a moment in Egypt where a few even believed my roommate and I were targets for human trafficking and how terrifying it was.

When I told him about that specific experience, I saw tears instantly falling down his cheeks. He eventually confessed that back in the day, he was in the business of human trafficking in California. Through his trembled voice and in his teary eyes, I saw that this was something he was very shameful about. So in that very moment, I prayed for healing in his brokenness and then we went off our way.

Honey is on the right.
A few weeks have gone by and yesterday I got a very unexpected call from him early in the morning. He said that he’s been really praying about it and God convicted him to go to the police to turn in the names of the traffic leaders he knew! He said an image of my face kept coming up in his head and he knew he had to do something. He explained the danger that he was putting himself in, yet he said it was worth saving the souls of the women and children who are sex slaved. Because God tugged on his heart and had made this man into a new creation, six human traffic leaders are now in jail and they were able to shut down the traffic house! Praise God!

Through my missions trip, God has really broke my heart for women and children who are victims of violence and sex trafficking. Sometimes the issue of violence against women seems so immense, it often seems too much for me to bear. In all honesty, I often doubt the role and power I have in what seems to be a hopeless situation. Nevertheless, God has showed me that I do indeed have a responsibility to uphold and that job is too simply share my heart and testimony to as many people as I could.

Alone, I am nothing in the battle of stopping human trafficking. But when I partner up with GOD, I am made into a woman warrior who will witness the power of God unfold. Praise be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment